Skip to main content

We are launching Friday Only Club!

Oscar de la Renta chose not to show at New York Fashion Week and instead streamed on Amazon. Is Amazon a suitable forum for a luxury brand? CEO Alex Bolen said, "I'm not sure. But we have to experiment with new ways to get our story out." https://lnkd.in/g4rZMxyb We launched our funds when Covid started and with the halt in travel and tough fund raising environment for emerging managers, we focused on performance and experimented with new ways to reach out to allocators, namely Linkedin posts and YouTube videos which can now be binge-watched on  www.quantflix.com . True, some people say that with the positive fund returns last year for both our long-only equity and multi-strategy funds, and the China fund outperforming its benchmark by its annualized double-digit aim, it was expected that we would pass the $100m mark. But when times are bad, most new investment monies went to well-known funds that are much bigger with a marketing budget that we cannot afford. So every lit

We are launching Friday Only Club!

Oscar de la Renta chose not to show at New York Fashion Week and instead streamed on Amazon. Is Amazon a suitable forum for a luxury brand? CEO Alex Bolen said,

"I'm not sure. But we have to experiment with new ways to get our story out."
https://lnkd.in/g4rZMxyb

We launched our funds when Covid started and with the halt in travel and tough fund raising environment for emerging managers, we focused on performance and experimented with new ways to reach out to allocators, namely Linkedin posts and YouTube videos which can now be binge-watched on www.quantflix.com.

True, some people say that with the positive fund returns last year for both our long-only equity and multi-strategy funds, and the China fund outperforming its benchmark by its annualized double-digit aim, it was expected that we would pass the $100m mark. But when times are bad, most new investment monies went to well-known funds that are much bigger with a marketing budget that we cannot afford. So every little bit helps.

I just came back from Dubai and met up with an allocator who relocated there last year. We had met years back at a conference but he is now at a different wealth management firm. Turns out that he read about our funds on LinkedIn then reached out to me. Of course it helped that I had delivered some content of value on laundry, DIY handicraft and wine filtering with two sheets of paper towel. Obviously the LinkedIn algo deems these topics to be highly relevant to hedge fund investors.

Building on our mantra of value-add to our community of investors and friends, we are launching FOC which stands for Friday Only Club, and Family Office Circle for official purposes, which also happens to be Free of Charge to our members. There will be drinks and snacks at the Gao Cap Bar on the Fridays I'm around, and knowledge sharing on topics I'm interested in such as how to display art in humid Singapore, what due diligence would have uncovered FTX and Madoff frauds, how to set up a family office according to lawyers Chauwei has worked with - despite appearing in court as an expert valuation witness and watching legal drama series in multiple languages, no I'm not a lawyer and what I say after beer (even craft ones) should not be relied upon as legal advice.

DM me topics you would like to have an expert talk about. We will also use Machine Learning from our QuantflixTV views to guess what might be of interest. People seem curious about how I speak Chinese (somewhat) fluently having never worked in Greater China.

P.S.: I wanted to have the Friday Only Club signage in pink neon like Tracey Emin's artwork but realized my handwriting is not that artistic. There are things I'm not good at.

www.gao-cap.com
www.gao-adv.com
www.quantflix.com

#hedgefund #alternativeinvestments #fundraising #singapore #familyoffices #machinelearning #artcollector #expert




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Influx of family offices from China

I was talking with friends about the extremely impressive resumes - did these kids start as child-labor when they were 12?! - I get from students these days and remarked, "I'm glad I was First Gen". Many US colleges have priority admissions set aside for those whose parents did not have a college education. One friend who also went to an Ivy-League said, "I'm sure you were just good, because many applicants from Singapore were also First Gen twenty, thirty years ago." Even if I was in fact admitted because I was a First Gen, should I feel that I might not have been as good as my peers? Should any advantage in the system make achievements less worthy? I'd say to take every advantage there is as long as it has not been obtained unfairly (or illegally - like photoshopping your face on a crew athlete). After getting in the school, you still have to study hard to get that summa cum laude. Feeling bad about getting that promotion because you think the firm nee

The First Edition of Friday Only Club!

  I got a latte art portrait of me today. It's not a "big deal" but shows the barista cares (at 9am in the morning). (No comments on how I look, especially my Bombastic Hair*, unless you look better with no Photoshop in your mid-40s with no makeup). Maybe some would say this is just business, the cafe is trying to get you to buy more coffee. But this is what differentiates a human barista from the Nespresso machine. Recently with year-end celebrations, New Year and Chinese New Year parties, I have been going to fancy wine dinners. I do appreciate the effort, and savings, but after talking to fellow investor friends I realized that sometimes we just need a cool place to chillax and share ideas (aka complain about investments that didn't work out). We can even bring our own wine. This coming Friday Only Club at Gao Cap Bar we'll have an expert talk (while drinking) about how to start an art collection, because a client asked me about displaying art in humid Singapor